At UQ Sport, it’s our vision to be Australia’s number one sporting university and our mission to deliver exceptional sporting opportunities for The University of Queensland (UQ) Community. We’re Queensland’s largest multi-sport facility and have Athletics, Aquatic, Tennis and Fitness Centres, as well as grass and synthetic playing fields, indoor and outdoor multi-sport courts, function spaces and retail outlets. Our membership base spans over 4,000 customers, with a further 7,000 people actively involved across UQ’s 35+ sporting clubs.
We’re firm believers that work shouldn’t be dull and boring! Our team is passionate about creating an awesome culture that promotes work-life balance, health and wellbeing, personal and professional growth, and most importantly, fun!
Our staff are proud to work at UQ Sport, and it shows in the exceptional work we do. Our not-for-profit organisation delivers almost 400 diverse programs to UQ students, staff and alumni, as well as the general public, across the University’s St Lucia and Gatton campuses.
About This Opportunity
UQ Sport has two access and inclusion programs that aim to assist clients of varied abilities who aspire to swim competitively or become better swimmers overall:
- UQ Can Swim
- UQ Para and Adaptive Swimming Squad
The UQ Can Swim Program is an entry-level program and runs for 9 weeks (Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) during Queensland school terms. UQ Can Swim classes are 30 minute one-on-one lessons.
The UQ Para and Adaptive Swimming is a one hour squad that runs every Sunday and involves swimmers who have been promoted from the UQ Can Swim program.
Reporting to the Access and Inclusion Swimming Coordinator as well as the Aquatic Program Manager you will ideally be available on Saturdays and/or Sundays, and open to picking up other class times during the week.
In this role you will:
- Assist with class setup and pack down.
- Teaching one-on-one clients with a range of disabilities
- Be flexible in your teaching style according to the characteristic of the client
- Have the possibility to increase your working hours with the growing learn to swim program
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Current First aid and CPR certificate
- Working with Children (QLD Blue Card)
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety (or equivalent Swim Australia qualification)
- AUSTSWIM Teacher of Aquatics Access and Inclusion (or equivalent Swim Australia qualification)
- Interest in disability, Parasport, access and inclusion teaching and programs
- Disability worker screening card (QLD Yellow Card) – Desirable
- A friendly work environment that produces amazing teamwork
- FREE access to all UQ Sport venues & FREE equipment hire (Ts &Cs Apply)
- FREE entry to Group Fitness programs (Ts &Cs Apply)
- Discounts on Individual Program Enrolments (Ts &Cs Apply)
- Great discounts on a range of food, beverage and retail items from UQ Sport outlets
- Access to fully subsidised income protection if working over 20 hours per week
- Reimbursement of required qualification renewals (Ts &Cs Apply)
- Support & Resources plus extra discounts with Lifeworks our EAP provider
Looking for more info about this role? Click here!