Overview of Wyndham Basketball Association
The Wyndham Basketball Association (WBA) is the largest non-professional sporting association in Melbourne’s West. At the Wyndham Basketball Association, our vision is to “Be the association of choice in Melbourne’s West, providing the opportunity for everyone to participate in the game of basketball”. Our goal is to grow and strengthen our basketball community, by providing development pathways that are affordable, accessible and inclusive for players, coaches and officials of all abilities. The WBA currently has a large junior domestic program with 15 clubs, a strong senior domestic competition, an Aussie Hoops program for beginners, as well as a successful VJBL and Big V representative program, supported by a strong team of officials (referees, scoretable and statisticians).
About the Role:
The Wyndham Basketball Association currently utilises the services of well over 120 Technical Officials (including referees, score bench, statisticians and referee coaches) from beginner to the elite level. The Basketball Development Officer – Technical Officials (BDOT) leads the coordination and development of all technical officials at the Wyndham Basketball Association. This position reports into the WBA Player & Coach Development Manager (PCDM), with a dotted line to the Technical Officials Commission – Wyndham Branch (TOC-WB). The successful candidate is required to possess and provide experience in the sport of basketball and have a passion for developing others.
- Act as the central co-ordination point for all educational matters related to the members of the Technical Officials Commission Wyndham Branch (TOC-WB).
- Co-ordinate the formal training courses & certifications required for TOC-WB personnel, including Referees, Referee Coaches, Scorers, and Statisticians.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the Wyndham Development Pathway for officials.
- Co-ordinate the training and development requirements for elite panel TOC-WB members with Basketball Victoria and meet quotas.
- Analyse and understand retention rates & diversity for technical officials, and work with TOC-WB to identify initiatives to increase retention & diversity;
- Upload game fixtures and apply any subsequent fixture changes into the officials rostering system (RefBook);
- Ensure suitably qualified technical officials (referees, scorebench, stats and referee coaches) are rostered for domestic games, VJBL games, Big V games and all other WBA programs that require them, as well as timely execution of twice-weekly payment runs for rostered individuals.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Understanding and experience in the sport of basketball
- Qualified basketball referee or technical official (or willing to obtain as a condition of employment)
- Qualified basketball referee coach (or willing to obtain as a condition of employment)
- Working with Children Check
- Drivers License
- Willingness to work weekends and evenings as required/directed
- Experience in the development and/or delivery of training courses
- Experience with referee rostering software, ideally RefBook
- Experience with competition management software, ideally PlayHQ
- Qualified score bench and/or statistician
- Representative level or above refereeing experience