At the Y our vision is simple – Amplify Your Voice. Shape Our Community. Challenge Our World.
As the largest employer in fitness and recreation we have more than 5,000 staff at over 140 centres across Victoria. With us, you will work with fun colleagues who have a shared passion for making a difference in the lives of individuals and transforming communities for the better.
About the Centre
Carlton Baths is a vibrant community-based facility which offers a range of recreation and sporting programs for the Carlton and City of Melbourne community. In 2012, the facility underwent a $10.4M redevelopment; designed to provide the community with a range of recreational, social, cultural and educational experiences.
About the role
Join our team at Carlton Baths Community Centre as a basketball referee!
We’re seeking a dedicated, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable referee to supervise our one-court stadium during competitions. As a referee, you’ll encourage a social atmosphere while ensuring the game stays under control and follows the rules.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for providing impartial, fair, and consistent refereeing to all individuals and teams. You’ll also cooperate and communicate with other referees to ensure smooth delivery of competitions, work within a team environment to ensure safe and effective setup, delivery, and pack up, and ensure appropriate procedures are adhered to for proper documentation and administration.
This is a casual position offering an hourly rate of $35.59 per hour + super.
Availability to work at least 2 evenings on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evenings is essential.
We’re looking for someone who can create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere by engaging all people in a friendly, respectful, and approachable manner. As a basketball referee you will have:
- A passion for the game of basketball and knowledge of the rules
- A friendly disposition and the ability to relate with others
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team, lead by example and pitch in when required
- Basketball referee qualifications desired, but not essential
- Availability to work at least 2 evenings on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evenings
Qualifications and Experience
- Level 1C Grade basketball referee qualification (desired)
- Experience refereeing basketball games (required)
- First Aid certificate
- CPR certificate
At the Y, we are committed to empowering all Children and Young People to feel safe and be safe. As such, we ensure that all of our candidates are appropriately screened (including police check, working with children check and reference checks). To learn more about our commitment to safeguarding children and young people visit victoria.ymca.org.au.
At the YMCA, we value our people. Working for us means you’ll enjoy great work/life balance and a range of benefits which improve your wellbeing and help you develop as an individual, such as:
- Flexible working and rostering arrangements
- Opportunities for career development and growth
- Free access to gyms, recreation, and aquatics centres across the state
- Free access to the Virtual Y – online health and wellness
How to Apply
Working for the YMCA is a rewarding and challenging experience for those with a positive attitude, zest for life and who seek to contribute to the bigger picture. If this is you, click the Apply button.