We are the Australian Government agency responsible for supporting and investing in sport at all levels. Our role is to increase involvement in sport and enable continued international sporting success through leadership and development of a cohesive and effective sports sector, targeted financial support and the operation of the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS).
We play a unique role in the sport ecosystem and tackle the big challenges and opportunities with and for the sector. We play different roles based on where and how we can add the most value through our expertise, leadership and voice.
We exist because sport matters. It drives all we do at the Australian Sports Commission (ASC), including our culture. We stand for respect, integrity, teamwork and excellence. These values underpin how we treat each other and our stakeholders, how we deliver for sport and how we create the world’s best environment at the ASC.
Here at the ASC, we encourage applications from candidates with broad experiences and diverse backgrounds so we better represent the community that we serve. Our workplace aims to increase our representation of First Nations Peoples. We uphold our ASC Cultural Framework which outlines our shared values and champions the experiences, skills and perspectives of all employees.
The Australian Sports Commission (ASC) are embarking on the Green and Gold decade. An exciting time filled with international sporting competitions on home soil, including the Men’s and Women’s Rugby World Cup, the Victorian Commonwealth Games in 2026 and culminating in the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
We have an ambitious new Strategic Vision, and we need the best players on our team to help us deliver real results for the sporting sector and all Australians. The Strategy Insights and Innovation Group was created in recognition of the track ahead, enhancing how we research, strategise, plan and operationalise for success in the lead up to the Games.
What you will be accountable for?
Reporting directly to the CEO, you will play a vital role in the delivery of our purpose and will leverage your excellent leadership and collaboration skills to set the strategic direction for your business group. You will possess exceptional stakeholder engagement capability and capacity to work effectively with the Executive and key internal and external stakeholders.
What you will need to succeed
This is a newly created role and requires an individual with strong thought leadership skills to devise the strategic direction required to make this position your own. Key to success in this role will be understanding the ASC Strategic Vision to 2034 and High Performance 2032+ Sport Strategy and aligning with leaders across the ASC and sporting sector.
We are looking for someone with:
- Degree or higher qualification/s in Business and Sports Management or a related field, and a strong understanding of the government environment.
- Significant experience in complex senior government roles and a strong understanding of the key functions delivered by the Group.
- Significant experience working as part of an executive leadership team, with a Board and government accountability.
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to work with a diverse range of stakeholders by sharing relevant information and identifying and dealing with issues effectively.
- Experience in successfully managing a large and diverse team, including demonstrated success in achieving objectives in line with organisational strategy.
- Strong business skills and significant experience in managing financial resources, risk management, business planning and strategy development.
What is on offer?
We are an organisation that leads, supports and provides opportunities for all communities to be involved in sport, while growing elite success and representation, inspiring future generations. To do this well, we focus heavily on our people, our talent and our culture – it’s central to everything we do.
You can expect:
- A workplace that is active, flexible, diverse and inclusive, socially responsible and invites new thinking in.
- People programs that embed strong cultural behaviours, encourage resilience and wellbeing, invest in peoples growth and develop our leaders and talent.
- Leaders who are visible, connect and recognise our values in action.
- Excellent remuneration package and flexible working options.
- If you work from our Canberra office, you’ll also get free access to an onsite gym, pool and parking including priority access to onsite childcare facilities. Not to mention all the great events hosted through our employee-led culture club.
To be eligible for this position applicants are required to be Australian citizens only and must be able to obtain and maintain an AGSVA Security Clearance.
As part of the Commonwealth Child Safety Framework the ASC is committed to being a Child Safe Organisation and leading the way in Child Safety across the sports sector. This position requires a Working with Vulnerable/Children People check to obtain employment.