Gippsland United represents a joint venture agreement between Combined Gippsland Basketball Association and Traralgon Amateur Basketball Association to provide elite basketball pathways for the Gippsland area. Our member associations include Warragul, Moe, Morwell, Sale, Maffra, Bairnsdale, Leongatha, Foster and many more. We currently have 11 VJBL teams and a Women’s and Men’s Big V team. Gippsland United previously operated as Latrobe Energy in a different format. There is a passionate basketball community in Gippsland, and we look forward to engaging an applicant who can contribute to our future growth.
About the role
The Junior Director of Coaching and Development will be required to;
- Assist with VJBL coach interviews and selection of coaches each season.
- Assist with selection of assistant director of coaching (2 new positions)
- Assist in the tryout/grading season and implement the Gippsland United policies and processes as required. Consider what steps are required to ensure retention of both coaches and players so that the effort on skill development has a longer term pay off to both the individual and the Gippsland United VJBL teams. Make recommendations to the Gippsland United Board of Management as required.
- Develop a coach induction course and implement prior to the start of each season.
- Hold monthly coach meetings either in person or online during the season.
- Mentor Gippsland United assistant director of coaches as required, setting in place base expectations for coaching quality, behaviour and skills development.
- Develop and implement a style of play consistent with Basketball Victoria’s current style in conjunction with assistant director of coaches.
- Implement athlete development strategies including but not limited too – Gippsland United academies and school holiday clinics.
- Facilitate coach development sessions with guest speakers/presenters.
- Identify and create high performance opportunities to ensure Gippsland United athletes are encouraged to reach their full potential.
- Contribute to the creation of pathways from VJBL to senior programs with key stakeholders in those programs.
Please note: Roles and responsibilities are negotiable, and we are flexible to the successful applicants location.
Please see attached position description for further information.