The Western Australian Institute of Sport (WAIS) is Western Australia’s peak high-performance sporting organisation. WAIS has a proud history of Olympic, Paralympic and World Champions who have accomplished extraordinary achievements in sport and life. WAIS enables and supports WA athletes to achieve success on a national and international level. Our culture of Striving for Excellence is lived through the behaviours of athletes and staff that demonstrate Passion, Integrity, Quality and Teamwork.
WAIS is proudly supported by the State Government and is a member of the National Institute Network which collectively support National and State Sporting Organisations to deliver the National High Performance Sport Strategy.
About the role
Reporting to the WAIS Sailing Head Coach, the role will work within a multidisciplinary team to develop sailors capable of becoming successful international athletes through the provision of a nationally recognised daily training environment.
The Sailing Coach supports the overall Sailing team environment, assisting the Head Coach to deliver the program vision and collaborate within the Sailing interdisciplinary Performance Enhancement Team to develop WAIS sailors capable of becoming successful international athletes in ILCA, 470 and iQ Foil, Kite Foil classes.
The Sailing Coach will coach across boat and board classes, ensuring all athletes benefit from the expertise available. The Coach will work with WAIS scholarship holders in daily training, camps, and regatta environments.
Core duties will include:
- Delivery of training that achieves technical, tactical, and physical development benchmarks aligned to Australian Sailing high performance plan.
- Development and delivery of effective individual athlete performance plans in consultation with the WAIS Sailing Head Coach, and Australian Sailing
- Positively collaborate with the Performance Enhancement Team to optimise sailing performance and innovation.
- Support the Sailing Head Coach and collaborate with the Performance Enhancement Team to deliver the program vision and team culture.
The role is based out of the WAIS High Performance Service Centre in the Mt Claremont Sporting Precinct. The successful candidate will have access to world class facilities to foster the next generation of Western Australian Champions.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Coach with the proven ability to develop Sailors to a national and international level. You will have sound knowledge of contemporary issues associated with high-performance sport and the development of elite athletes for success in the national and international arena. You will be able to demonstrate experience within an interdisciplinary team to solve performance challenges.
Experience and qualification requirements:
- Demonstrated experience in a high-performance environment coaching, developing and motivating athletes.
- Demonstrated ability in devising and executing long-term training and competition plans that develop high performance sailors.
- Experience coaching elite athletes in one or more WAIS targeted classes; ILCA, 470, iQFoil, Kite Foil.
- Track record of building partnerships that achieve shared outcomes with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Sailing Coach Qualification as defined by Australian Sailing
- Working with Children Check
- National Police Clearance (valid within the last 12 months)
- First Aid certificate
- Current Drivers Licence
A fixed-term contract will be offered to the successful applicant through to December 31 2024, with possibility of extending to the 2028 Olympic cycle.
Anticipated salary is from $90,782 – $100,754 + Superannuation and will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Building System Capability
At WAIS, we offer career opportunities for people who share our ambition and passion for high performance sport. WAIS are a registered Immigration sponsor organisation and welcomes interest from suitable international applicants. From graduates to expert professionals, we are committed to offering fulfilling careers and the chance to grow as we grow. We would love you to be part of our journey.