Previous applicants need not apply
Blacktown is a vibrant city located in the very heart of Greater Sydney, halfway between Sydney City and the Blue Mountains. It is a city of ambition and excitement. With a total of 54 residential suburbs, and population of 403,000 coming from more than 180 different birthplaces, Blacktown City is one of the most diverse communities in Australia.
Working in Blacktown City provides a wealth of professional opportunities. Blacktown City Council is the largest council in New South Wales, 4th largest in Australia and a leader in the development of the western Sydney region. With almost unmatched growth expected over the next 25 years, we are on an exciting journey of transformation to prepare for a population of more than 644,000. There has never been a more exciting time to join one of Sydney’s most dynamic and high-performing councils as we continue to deliver outstanding levels of service for our proud and diverse community and prepare our great city for the future.
Blacktown City Council strives to be an inclusive workplace for all people. We welcome and encourage applications from all ages and genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQ+ community, veterans and people with disabilities.
About the opportunity
Our Key Venues section oversees all of our aquatic and leisure centres. We deliver first-class activity and program choice, we promote Blacktown City as the leader in sport, recreation and leisure and we give every visitor and customer a safe and memorable experience. Our values are teamwork, customer focus, innovation and commitment to safety.
Blacktown Leisure Centre Stanhope is an award-winning multi-purpose facility that offers high-quality programs and services. It includes an indoor aquatic centre with 25 metre 10-lane lap pool, a wave pool, program pool, a 4-court stadium, and 16-court tennis complexes as well as a health and fitness centre, crèche, and function room facilities.
Our Aqua Learn to Swim program started in October 2015 and continues to provide our wider community access to water safety and swimming programs with qualified Austswim and Swim Australia Instructors. This is an exciting permanent, full-time opportunity for a motivated and experienced individual who shares a commitment and passion for sport and leisure to join our team at Blacktown Leisure Centre Stanhope as a Swim School Team Leader.
The Swim School Team Leader is responsible for delivering a well-respected, professionally operated swim school program. The role includes leading a swim school team of full-time and casual staff with an emphasis on a quality customer service, enrolment retention and class consolidation. You will need to provide leadership that results in motivated and effective employees.
A successful candidate will need experience with managing and operating a large swim school, strong and effective customer service skills and knowledge of aquatic industry guidelines including Workplace Health Safety.
The responsibilities include:
- Delivery of a well-respected, professionally operated learn to swim programs
- Ensure classes are instructed according to teaching methodologies outlined by Austswim and Royal Life Saving Society learn to swim programs
- Providing professional, safe practical and theoretical instruction to children in our learn to swim programs
- Ensure the safety and well-being of all patrons and user groups by the provision of high-quality surveillance and teaching techniques
- Assist in the development and implementation of a marketing plan for learn to swim.
If you have the Learn to Swim experience, the drive to make a positive impact on water safety, and the skills to be a great leader then this is the role for you!
Qualifications and experience
- Austswim Certificate in Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety, Swim Australia or Royal Life Saving Swim Teacher Certificate
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Current CPR Certificate
- Excellent oral communication
- Excellent customer service skills
- Coaching/teaching experience
- Current Working With Children Check
- Current Class “C” driver’s licence.
- Pool Lifeguard Award
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
- Austswim Certificate in Teacher of Infant Aquatics, Competitive Stokes or Disabilities
- Swim Australia™ Teacher of Competitive Strokes.
Remuneration and benefits
The salary and conditions of employment are in accordance with Blacktown City Council’s Enterprise Agreement.
- Entry level for this position starts at $1,258.50 per week
- 114 hours worked over a 3-week roster, including 1 weekend within the cycle
- Employee benefits such as leave entitlements (where applicable), 10.5% employer contribution payable to your nominated superannuation fund, Fitness Passport, gym membership discounts, and social clubs.
This position has been identified as child-related work, in accordance with the Child Protection (Working with Children) Regulation 2013. Therefore, your application must include a Working with Children Check (WWCC) number. For further information, go to www.newcheck.kids.nsw.gov.au.
Our commitment to safety
Blacktown City Council is committed to safety. We have introduced alcohol and other drug testing at the pre-employment phase, and via a series of random and cause testing.
Please note being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 is a requirement prior to commencement and throughout ongoing employment with Blacktown City Council.
We are a child safe organisation that supports and promotes the safety, wellbeing and empowerment of children.
Closing date: Friday 14 April 2023, 11.30 pm
Contact officer: Belinda Mcatear on (02) 9421 2603