As an organisation, the AFL works tirelessly in all states and at all levels to enhance and grow the game – from grassroots to elite. Together, we put on the game, deliver important events, communicate with our fans, run community programs, develop coaches and umpires, collaborate with partners, delight members, support clubs and so much more. While our roles may vary, we are all united by a common goal, to progress the game so that everyone can share in its heritage and possibilities.
The AFL is committed to promoting and protecting the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in our care. Please note, we undertake several screening processes to ensure this commitment is upheld, this includes ensuring the successful candidate to this position holds a valid employee Working with Children/ Vulnerable People check and a satisfactory criminal history record check.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer and firmly believe that diversity and inclusion is an important part of both the AFL and the communities in which we operate. Our game is for everyone, and we strive to be a workplace for everyone.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are encouraged to apply.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The focus of this role is to facilitate and oversee youth focused AFL programs and competitions throughout Katherine and the Big Rivers region to achieve lasting health, fitness, wellbeing, and education outcomes. All community-based AFL programs are designed to facilitate safe, inclusive, and professional environments for all participants. AFL programs are to be designed to enhance and promote high school attendance, social inclusion, positive lifestyle choices and education outcomes.
This is a 24 month max term contract based in Katherine, NT.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF
- Provide opportunities for youth and young people to participate in regular, inclusive, and professional AFL programs and competitions
- Facilitate entry level national AFL initiatives to grow engagement and participation through Auskick and Kinder Kick programs
- Coordinated youth AFL competitions to grow the game of AFL and support the growth of the Big Rivers Football League
- Design and embed school attendance plans to drive high school attendance and student behaviour through AFL themed programs and incentives
- Support the development and coordination of female football competitions in the region
- Engage, mentor, and support casual staff, trainees, and community football volunteers
- Support AFL themed programs throughout remote Aboriginal communities to drive positive social, wellbeing and education outcomes
- Facilitate AFL events to promote targeted health and wellbeing objectives
- Work with schools throughout the Big Rivers Region to support the Michael Long Learning and Leadership Centre programs and residential camps
- Support talented players in the region to engage with NT State Academy, NT Thunder, and Next Generation programs
OUR IDEAL TEAM MEMBER
- Ability to work with and proactively influence people within a sporting environment
- Understand and demonstrate the ability to coordinate, train and recognise volunteers in the football environment
- Ability to work autonomously, manage time effectively, utilise on ground support to achieve key outcomes and meet deadlines
- Ability to work on weekends and after hours and take time off accordingly
- Ability to relate easily to others with a friendly and professional manner
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Able to manage and maintain partnerships with key stakeholders
- Ability to manage all gear and equipment relating to football programs and competitions including ordering supplies
- Ability to manage AFLNT fleet vehicles including regularly servicing and condition reports
- Ability to manage budgets and deliver all AFL programs within allocated funding structures
- Evidence of cross-cultural awareness
- Experience in remote Indigenous communities
- Ability to be self-aware and seek appropriate support when required during difficult times
- Ability to work with the structures and policies of the AFL, AFLNT and the AFLNT Remote projects team
Please visit afl.com.au/careers/our-organisation
We are proudly a WORK180 endorsed employer for women, to see the great benefits that the AFL offers, please visit work180.com/en-au/for-women/employer/afl
- Play The Day Your Way – a flexible approach to your working life
- My Development – lean into the AFL’s My Development program consisting of on-the-job training, coaching and mentoring, and formal learning
- Play Well – access to our extensive Health and Wellbeing program centered around our belief in a healthy body, healthy mind, and healthy workplace
- My Benefits – with thanks to our AFL Corporate Partners, access great benefits and discounts
- AFL Silver Memberships – permanent team members can access AFL matches at Marvel Stadium and the MCG, enjoy and share the experience of our game with your family and friends!
We care deeply for our people at the AFL with our primary focus being to provide a safe and healthy workplace for all. We strongly encourage and support all AFL team members to be vaccinated (including by receiving booster doses as recommended by the Relevant Authority and/or ATAGI). In addition, we’re committed to utilising other preventative health and safety measures as appropriate and/or as directed by Relevant Authorities to reduce the risk of contracting and transmitting COVID-19 in our workplaces.
Applications Close: 18 April 2023